Paris Lit Up Roman Writing Retreat
– Only Paris is worthy of Rome,
only Rome is worthy of Paris.
Paris Lit Up is proud to present the second edition of our Roman Writing Retreat. This year we will be writing and workshoping in Italy from Sunday, June 12th through Sunday, June 19th, 2016. Join us as we escape the city for this 7-day writing holiday in the picturesque Italian countryside. Set at the independently owned and operated La Preta Nera country home, applicants will spend one week honing their writing skills through daily group feedback workshops, collective and individual generative exercises and 3 master classes including our featured author and writing coach, Shannon Cain.
La Preta Nera is a charming traditional house in the heart of the historic center of Giuliano di Roma, in Ciociaria. The original medieval village was built on top of the crater of an extinct volcano and the guest house is named after the basaltic stone from the lava flows throughout the area. Like most of the houses in the village, La Preta Nera was built using black basaltic stones, still visible today. Just 90km south of Rome and 30km from the beach, in an area of rolling hills and valleys, La Preta Nera is the perfect place to spend a writing holiday in a natural environment, in contact with the inhabitants of this small village and surrounded by beautiful countryside and enchanting woods.
Shannon Cain has taught fiction writing at the University of Leipzig, the University of Arizona, Gotham Writers’ Workshop, Arizona State University, and most recently as a core faculty member in the MFA program at Bennington College. In 2012 she organized The Santa Rita Writers’ Workshop. In 2013 and 2014, Shannon’s current and former clients published six books; placed twenty-three stories or poems in literary journals; won four national writing contests, were accepted into two MFA programs, and completed one postgraduate fellowship.
I want to remind you that Shannon Cain is a two-word synonym for badass mamba jamba. She’ll take your work on its own terms and help you make it better. You have enough booze and shoes, so kick a few bucks in the direction of your writing. You won’t regret it.
– Kara Waite, MFA University of Arizona
Excellent food, stunning wine, beautiful lodgings and transportation to and from Fiumicino Airport or Roma Termini Station are all included in the package, as well as guided excursions in the Roman countryside. Spaces are limited so apply now.
- Who: Writers of any genre by application
- Where: La Prete Nera, Giuliano di Roma
- When: June 12th– 19th, 2016
Roman Writing Retreat includes
- Pick up and transportation to and from Roma Termini Train Station or Fiumicino Airport, Rome
- Food and lodging at the country home La Preta Nera in Giuliano di Roma, Italy for 6 nights and 7 days
- A daily 1h 30min feedback workshop with professional writing coach Shannon Cain
- Three 2h master classes coordinated by professional writers and translators, Shannon Cain, Jason Francis Mc Gimsey and Emily Ruck Keene
- An opportunity to read and perform your work in a medieval castle
- Optional daily guided excursions (motorized, walking or horseback) to the surrounding area guided by an English-Italian interpreter
All products offered are fresh, locally sourced and prepared on site
- Continental breakfast including Italian coffee, milk, traditional giuliano biscotti, various home-baked pastries, toast, butter and a wide selection of organic marmalades
- 3-course Italian lunch with a first course of pasta, a second course of either meat, fish or eggs, and a side dish of vegetables or fresh salad (vegetarian plates will be available). Bread, water, coffee and wine are included
- Roman dinner with freshly sliced meats, cheeses, fresh vegetables and rustic pizza. Bread, water, coffee and wine are included
- All rooms are matrimonial or double with private bath
- Fresh towels, amenities and housekeeping are included
Early registration begins 15 February 2016. Applications arriving after April 30th will be subject to a 100 € late processing fee.
- Send a short presentation of yourself and a 250-word example of your creative writing (any style, any genre – prose or poetry) to info [at ] parislitup.com
- Specify if you have any specific dietary needs, any preferred sleeping arrangement and any other necessary personal information
- The all-inclusive cost (except transport to Rome) is 1000€.
- If your application is accepted, a 300€ reservation deposit must be made no later than April 15th, 2016
- One 500 € scholarship for an underprivileged writer is available. If you would like to apply for it, please include a short letter in your application specifying why you feel you qualify.
- The remaining balance must be paid in full by 20 May 2016